Friday, September 11, 2009

Remembering Bobby Fischer

As a kid, my childhood hero was Superman. I would always remember the lines " look, its a bird, its a plane, no its Superman during the late afternoon cartoon shows. My eyes would always be glued to our black and white TV just to see my hero fly and defeat villains that threatens the city.

Like anything in this world, everything changes and even my childhood hero wasn't spared. This changed took place when I was introduced to the game of chess at the age of 12. My father introduced me to old Bobby Fischer, the genius chess player from the US. I was just amazed how he dominated the world of chess. It was like a David and Goliath story where manhandled Russian GM by his ingenuity of the game. I grab every opportunity to devour anything about Bobby Fisher, news clips, pictures, books, and most specially his games. I grow up admiring him and his pursuit for excellence, his desire be the best,and his passion for creating perfection in an art laden game.

Today, i still pursue him. I read about his chess conquests, dominance, and artistry of the game. Thanks to the internet, that's not too hard today. Here i share to you a video clip of Bobby Fischer's photo's during his first visit to the Philippines in 1967. As discussed by the video's author,this album was a gift from the sponsor of the tournament (Meralco) to Bobby Fischer, and was part of his estate that he left behind the US. this video is just a joy to me, i hope it bring the same to you. enjoy!!!

No comments: