Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Ho Yifan: "I like Karjakin as a chess player!"


Hou Yifan, 15 years old Chinese, became famous long before the Women's World Chess Championship in Nalchik in 2008. Being the youngest participant, she managed to go all the way till the finals where she lost to the Russian. To Alexandra Kostenyuk. And here in the 1 st match of the 1 st round she stood up against experienced representative of Germany Arkady Naiditsch.

• It was not easy for me in the opening. I had bad position because of my mistake, - starts Hou. But at one point I could find a balance and finally I managed to stand up. In general, I am satisfied with the result.

Is it more difficult to play against men, rather than against women?

• Yes, that's correct. But I cannot explain why. But I am sure men play chess better than women.

So, you are not attracted by the success of Judit Polgar, who has been competing with men chess players on equal?

• For the moment I have a goal – to play chess as better as possible. I don't even have a target to become a world champion. The most important is to develop my play. All other will come anyway.

You had a chance to become the World Champion. Did you take your lost to Kostenyuk in the final match hard?

• No, because Alexandra is a very strong opponent. Besides, at that time she was in a very good shape and was playing better than me.

Upon coming back to China after the World Championship, were they criticizing you for not becoming first or maybe they were praising you for becoming second?

• Obviously they want me only to win. On the other hand everyone realized that nothing bad happened. One very strong chess player won another chess player. Things happen.

There are legends in the air that Chinese chess players get an enormous support from the Government

• I can say that chess is popular enough in China and the popularity grows every day

Did you ever participate in the traditional matches Russia vs. China?

• Only once and it is pity that could not participate in others, for I was busy participating in different tournaments. I think these matches help both teams to enrich experience.

Did you come here with your coach?

• As you know I am not the only Chinese player at this tournament. We all have one trainer who helps all Chinese players. The knocked out participants help those who are still in as well.

Did you like Khanty Mansyisk?

• Very much. Most of all I like the weather. I love snow and as you know there is not a lot of it in China.

How do you spend your free time here?

• In general in the hotel. I listen to the music and read books.

What kind of music do you like?

• I like pop music. The name of my favorite singer will not tell you anything, for it is a Chinese singer, very famous in my country.

It is amazing how good you speak English now

• Yes, everyone around were telling me that I should speak English, that it is very important for a professional sportsmen. So, I had to work on it more intensively.

Russian is not less important to speak for a professional chess player, don't you think?

• Sure, - smiles Yifan. The only problem is to find time to learn this beautiful language.

Probably you should find a teacher among participants? There are only three women at the tournament, and we think it will not be difficult to find someone who could help you to learn “great and strong” Russian.

• At the moment the participants of the Cup interest me only from the chess point of view. The strongest chess players of the planet came here and I try not to miss anything which could be interesting for me at the chess boards.

Do you have a favorite chess player?

• I had. Bobby Fisher. Unfortunately he is not with us anymore.

And among participants of the Cup?

• Difficult question. Maybe Sergey Karjakin?

No comments: