Friday, December 11, 2009

World chess champion turns 40 on 11th December

Viswanathan Anand Celebrates 40th Birthday

Happy birthday Vishy!!!

Anand square 2

Chennai: Chess players are not known to celebrate their birthdays with big bashes. And it is the same with World chess champion Viswanathan Anand, who will turn 40 on Friday, 11th December.

"It is a bit like any other day and I have the excuse to laze off," Anand told The Times of India on the eve of his birthday. "Just a small function, strictly private, my parents are coming over."

Forty may be just a number to Anand but Garry Kasparov mentioned that that is the age when chess champions (he meant World champions) should retire from the game. Anand laughed off the suggestion saying Kasparov had set other goals for himself (political career) and that should serve him well. The Indian GM will be playing a very important match next year in April against Bulgarian Veselin Topalov. Naturally, that should be the main concern him now. "Yes, if I have to mention a birthday wish, I should say I would like to retain my world title," said Anand.

No comments: